Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Is it true that a person look for a partner in life or spouse that has similarities with his/her parents?

If it is true, can there be a social or psychological theory that can back it up?Is it true that a person look for a partner in life or spouse that has similarities with his/her parents?
I don't think it's completely true. If you've had great parents and they've taught you what a loving, solid relationship is all about, then sure you're going to want the same and will look for a mate with the same values. If you've had lazy, nasty, abusive parents, hopefully you're smart enough to break the cycle and aim for better.Is it true that a person look for a partner in life or spouse that has similarities with his/her parents?
yup,people often look for similarities in their spouses as are in their parents because parents are their ideals or idols.....
My husband is nothing like my dad or my mom. My parents are country bumpkins apart of high class society and my husband is a California boy apart of middle class suburbia. And I'm a rock star who works a nine to five wanting more out of life. Just a whole bunch of different people shook all up in a family together. Makes for good conversation though. :)





So in my case, no. In others I'm sure it could be.
I dont necessarily think we look for it, but I do think we have a tendency to gravitate towards a certain familiarity. I have noticed that my husband and father share a few key traits that I admire and love, but I was not seeking that in a man. People are creatures of habit and I think we all want to find comfort in what we're used to - good or bad, conscience or not.
What are you worried about?





For an idea as to the beginnings of these theories, try ';Totem and Taboo'; It is a short book.


Psychology has come a long way since then, but the roots seem firm.
Some woman usualy look for men that are simmilar to their fathers.Say about 20%
For me, i wouldnt want a husband like my dad... very abusive


But seriously, i married to an abusive guy... its kinda ancester.. or maybe past life... karma....

No comments:

Post a Comment